Setting goals to help motivate yourself is something everyone should do. However, if your goals aren’t well thought out or defined how do you know when you reach them? Here are a few tips on setting goals.
1. Really define your goal.Don’t be vague. Say your goal is to lose weight. Well that’s great but how much weight?
In how much time? Is it reasonable? You have to take the time to answer these questions in order to know what you really want to do. Be very specific too, the more specific the better.
2. Write it down. Writing down your goal makes it a reality. Don’t just keep it in your head. You have to be able to see it. So then you can look at it and really start thinking about achieving that goal. Post it somewhere that you will see it everyday. Maybe your mirror or on your computer.
“Goals that are not written down are just wishes.” – Unknown
3. Mark your progress towards your goal. Show yourself that you are getting closer and not wasting your time. Take pictures, write down what you have accomplished, make it visible and tell people. It’s great to tell people because usually you tell someone you love and trust. They will be very happy and supportive to hear about your accomplishments. This will help you stay motivated to keep going.
4. You can alter your goals. If you start to realize your goal isn’t challenging enough then make it challenging. It’s no fun if it’s easy. Make yourself work! But not overwork, if you realize your goal is a little far-fetched then change it to something that is more reasonable. Or just extend the end date. But always set your goals high.
5. Have fun with it. Goals should be something that you really want. Make your goal relevant to you. It should be enjoyable seeing yourself progress towards something you are passionate about.
I hope these help when you set your next goal. It’s never too late to make goals and you can never have too many goals. Keep shooting for the moon because even if you miss… you will land among the stars!