We all have heard the saying, “What are friends for?” Especially right after our friend/s have done or will do something nice for us. Am I right? Friends can be a great help when you are trying to accomplish anything. Having their support can get you through almost everything. When it comes to wanting to lose weight or getting stronger, friends are truly the best.
How to get your friends to be all that you need to succeed:
1. If you are trying to eat healthy, tell your friends because they can influence you tremendously. I have seen it happen where a group of girls are going out to get ice cream, McDonalds, or anything that is not good for you, especially when you are trying to lose weight. And they are able to talk you into coming and drag you with them. You tell yourself, “I will just go and not order anything.” (haha yeah right!). That’s not going to happen. When it comes time to order and it gets to you, “Oh, I’m not getting anything.” Everyone will flip out and demand you order something. The peer pressure is horrific. By simply explaining to your friends that you are trying to stay away from fast food, desserts, oversized portions, etc. they will try to avoid putting you in those situations. If they are true friends they will understand and help you stay on the right path.
2. Ask your friends to go to the gym with you. Having someone come with you to the gym, gives you that extra boost. However, going together doesn’t mean talk that whole time. If that’s all they want to do, I suggest telling them you are working out too hard to talk (Works every time). Going with friends to the gym is great because they help you get that first step out the door toward the gym, which is the toughest part for a lot of people. Also, set up times to meet to workout. What kind of a friend are you if you cancel or don’t show up. Setting up a time to exercise with someone will get you moving.
3. If they are around, and they know you are trying to eat right, give them permission to take away that bag of chips you are about to binge on.You must do this. The process of giving up some of your favorite foods is tough. We all have those days we want to break down and give in. At the beginning of your weight loss plan, give permission to anyone that you hangout with a lot, to snatch that bag of chips or pint of ice cream out of your hands. Now you can’t get mad at them because in the end, you will be so
thankful they controlled your emotions on days you wanted to throw in the towel.
4. Get your friends to share the same goal. Finding someone who wants what you want is the best. You can work as a team to accomplish your goals. Sign up for a 5K, 10K, triathlon, half marathon, marathon, etc. I don’t know your level of fitness so depending on where you want to take yourself, pick an event right for you. Sign up at the very beginning of your decision that you are going to change! Also, pick and event a few months out to give you plenty of time to prepare, if anything over prepare! Signing up will give you motviation throughout your weight loss and get fit plan because you have something you are working towards and always keep that goal in mind.
5. Be supportive in return. Don’t lose a friendship because you and your friend are trying to lose weight and one of you is losing weight/seeing results quicker then the other one. Be supportive to each other. Compliments rock! Who doesn’t like hearing they look good in their jeans?! Keep each other focused and moving. Do it for yourself too. Don’t get jealous! It’s silly. Use them as motivation. By looking at them you see it’s possible and you want to be next. You have to be fully committed. Keep working hard and results will follow.
Now, it’s time to get off the computer and get moving! Feel free to comment if you have ideas on how to work together to succeed.