My list of things that I think may prevent you from losing weight:
1. Eating when you are bored. I am a college student and when it’s time for me to study, I get hungry. Why? because I don’t want to study so I’m distracting myself. Studying bores me, so I say if I’m eating then I can’t study. When you are at work or school or at home, keep a bottle of water near you. Drink it when you get the urge to take a break and eat. Also, many times we are actually thirsty and dehydrated, not hungry. And drinking water will fill your stomach up with zero calories. Another method, is to keep gum with you. The chewing and flavor will trick your mind into thinking that you are eating.
2. Portion Sizes. I have near been to another country other then the United States. I hear that portions are so much smaller in European countries and countries around the world. America has changed our minds into thinking that portions are huge. Our portions are twice the size or more then those in foreign countries. You have to change your minds idea of how much food will fill you up. To do this just buy smaller plates and bowls. Also, when cooking looking at the portion sizes on boxes and try and go by that. It may take time to get used to it but your body can do it.
3. Processed Foods. Start buying organic food. It is more expensive but it has so many benefits. Also, it is fun to go to the local farmers market and see all the goods and talk to the local farmers. It will open up your mind. The supermarket isn’t the only place you can buy food. It could be fun to go to a local farm and pick strawberries and tomatoes. That’s cheaper too! Get creative and when you go to the store check out the organic sections and give it a try!
4. Excuses. No more excuses. Get outside and play. Play with your dog, play with your kids, play with friends… just go outside. Learn to love something outside. Like hiking, walking, golfing, biking, swimming… depending on your interests, there is something for you! Try something new like kiteboarding or stand up paddling. Who knows… you could discover something that you have natural talent for.
5. Lying to Yourself. Sometimes this is good but when you are lying about how just one bite of cake won’t hurt you, it will. It will stir that craving back up. I love cake, cookies, ice cream, brownies… who doesn’t? But since I keep saying just one scoop or just a little piece I will never get over eating junk food. You can eat it at special occasions but don’t pig out. And don’t lie to yourself saying that you ate healthy yesterday so its fine to eat bad today. It doesn’t work like that. Just like how if its frozen yogurt that doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Just be careful. Make it easy on yourself and just stay away from the unhealthy foods.
6. Being Lazy. Get motivated to move. Don’t be lazy. Clean the house, if it needs to be cleaned. This is simple and burns a lot of calories. You have to vacuum, make beds, fold laundry… you are constantly moving. It’s great. And make it fun, put your favorite music on and go in with a good attitude! Also, just being organized clears your head and makes you feel more energetic. Also, wake up early. Sleeping-in can make you feel tired, which will trigger the laziness. Get started early and workout. That way your mind hasn’t woken up yet and won’t know what you’re doing.
7. Computer Time. Go on the computer only once a day. People spend so much time on the computer. Pick the evening or morning to go on, whatever works for you. Also, limit your time. Don’t waste time on Facebook or Twitter. Just do checks on the sites and check your email, read the news. Be productive. That’s the goal. If you find yourself on youtube, stumbleupon… that’s when you need to shut it off.
8. Too Much T.V. It is so easy to watch T.V. and eat but have you tried to read and eat? It’s distracting… at least to me it is. The crunching or swallowing makes it hard for me to focus. But watching T.V. doesn’t take too much focus so that’s why it’s easy to eat a whole bag of chips in one sitting. Don’t do that anymore. Pick up a good book and distract yourself from the real world.