I love going to the beach and showing some skin! I love having people walk by… and know they were checking me out (while I pretend not to notice. haha). This is a great feeling for men and women. I really believe that getting lean and tone is about 50 % working out and 50% nutrition. You have to do BOTH!
For me, when I go to the gym, I do 20-30 mins of cardio on a machine that gets my heart rate up… remember it’s ok to sweat. I like the treadmill, the stair master, the bike, or the elliptical. Then, I go stretch. I stretch my legs a lot. It’s good for you to stretch because many people as they get older lose their flexibility and you are more prone to injury if you don’t stretch. After stretching, I do abs. And LOTS OF THEM! Learn to love ab workouts. Pick 5-6 good exercises that work on different parts of your core and just keep doing them! After that, I go lift weights but I only do arms. I feel like my legs get a good enough workout on the cardio machines. So I do arm workouts with a weight that isn’t too light or too heavy. Find what’s right for you. Work on your triceps, biceps, forearms, and shoulders. To finish, I go back to the cardio machine for about a 20-30 minute to cool down. I love going to the gym and remember to change things up. If you don’t have a gym to go to… that is not an excuse. You can run outside, do abs on a soft surface, then do push-ups, dips, curl things you find around your house… It’s easy!
Now for eating, this is where I lack. I love food. I love it so much I have even won eating contests. One time, I went to Olive Garden and ate 7 breadsticks, 3 bowls of salad, and my whole entree, which was a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I am trying to end my reputation of stuffing my face. I’m the one that people ask, “Hey Katherine, there’s two pieces of pizza… Can you finish them?” or they say that they are full and I finish their meal for them. Not a good rep. Lately, I have been trying to eat more meals, however, they are smaller in portion size. This is what my daily eating looks like:
- Breakfast 8:30 a.m.: A bowl of cereal (I love frosted Mini Wheats!) with skim milk.
- Snack 11 a.m.: A banana or other fruit, depending on what I have.
- Lunch 1 p.m.: Typically I have a low-fat smoothie with a protein bar. Or if that’s not an option. I love apples with peanut butter and a healthy turkey sandwich. No mayo. Just lettuce, tomato, turkey and whole wheat bread.
- Snack 4 p.m.: I like eating something like pretzels or wheat thins.
- Dinner 7:30 p.m.: Dinner is different every night. Just have a proportioned plate with lean meet, a veggie, and some grains (like rice).
- Dessert 9 p.m.: Frozen yogurt! I love ice cream and frozen yogurt is a healthy alternative
- And remember to drink lots of water throughout the day. You have to remind yourself to drink lots of it, I forget all the time.
I encourage you to hit the gym daily and to keep a food diary. Before you grab that candy bar… think to yourself, “Is it more satisfying to feed my craving for a few minutes or is it more satisfying to get the body I have wanted for years.”